Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Godfather

OK, sorry for the extended absence, but we've had our hands full these past 2 weeks! So here are some of my thoughts on being a dad...

1. I am a very selfish person. When this little lady gets between me and sleep, or cries constantly (she's been GREAT overall, but we had a 48 hour period Thurs/Fri where I thought we weren't going to make it), I realize how little patience I really have!

2. When she's quiet, or sleeping, she's the cutest darn thing I've ever seen. Love those moments. She's sleeping on my chest as I write this, and it's just priceless.

3. Driving feels different with a kid in the back. No more running red lights or whipping turns in front of oncoming traffic. Sad.

4. Family is key. Last night grandma took T for the night, and we slept 8 hours. It was life-changing... seriously. We also went to a wedding, drank, and danced like fools. It was fun to live like we don't have a kid for one night! I don't know how parents survive without help.

5. Ash is a machine. She is so patient and dedicated. She gets up 2 times a night (at least) and feeds (an hour-long process). T takes 20-30 mins to go back down if we're lucky. She still makes me delicious snacks all the time, makes me coffee in the morning when I leave for work. Amazing.

She's also back to her hot-bodied self. Smokin'.

6. Changing poopy diapers is not that bad. Except when it leaks everywhere and you get it on your hands. That's not fun.

OK, that's what comes up for me after these first two weeks...more to come as we get adjusted!

2 comments:

LWB said...

Love the commentary on new parenthood as only Dave can give it. The intensity and demands of it all does slap you around a bit at the beginning, but if you just submit willingly, it does get easier. :) Yall are doing a great job - so glad to hear you have lots of help (and a good night's sleep - something tells me those late night party hours from the GSB are more a thing of the past now).

xoxo

dhaase said...

So true...we almost skipped the wedding just to go to bed at 7!!! We are too old. Sorry if we ever gave u a hard time!