What I looked like before my cut, approximately
OK, we've had friends visiting for the past week (another blog entry, I'm sure) and so we have been away from the world of blogging for too long. Please forgive us, it's just that the real world is fun, too!
Let's get back on track with the hilarious story of the day...
Today, I went to get a haircut. I looked like a baby lion with a miniature afro, and though I had been trying to hold out on getting my hair cut until I go back to the US, it was getting rediculous. So, I caved and cut my beautiful locks.
First, I had to spend an hour identifying the perfect place to cut my hair. I have heard too many horror stories to just blindly walk into a place where I can't communicate what I want, so I was willing to pay for a higher probability of success.
The problem is, there is a complete lack of good salons in Shanghai. The hairstyles over here are very different, and Asian people have very thick hair. So the white boys have it tough...another reason why it sucks to be a minority!
Anyways, I found a place called Tony and Guy, and was able to walk in for the bargain price of $40!! From the reviews, I estimated I had about a 50% chance of success. All started well, with a shampoo and head massage, and some unusual questions from the hairstylist (Do you part your hair this way, for instance, when my hair is clearly parted that way!). Here's where it got weird...
First sign of danger: the hairstylist had a bowl cut. I thought this was universally accepted as the worst haircut of all time (the perm being a close 2nd)!!! Why would someone who makes their living as a hairstylist be sporting the worst haircut ever? This is like a dentist with a chrome grill, in my opinion...I nearly walked out here.

My stylist, approximately.
On with the story...there were 3 people helping me in this salon, which is not uncommon since labor is fairly cheap here (see restaurants where you have 1 waiter for every table, for example). One was the hairstylist, a shampoo guy, and a third mystery man carrying 2 brushes. The first was like a duster, and the second like a blush brush. I was wondering what the heck this guy was supposed to do when it came to me in a flash.
As the hairstylist moved from one side to the other, the brush man would immediately step up and brush the hair from my shoulder and forehead. I had never seen such attention to detail in a salon before!!
Anyways, the guy cuts my hair for 1:15 in the most meticulous way I have ever seen, and brush man stood by his side the entire time. Poor Ash had to sit by and manage the process, she was bored out of her mind. Anyways, the guy actually did a great job, and helped me fashion a ChinaHawk (or Chawk, for short) at the end!! Only problem is I couldn't go back to work like this, so I had to go home and restyle.

Me, After.
No comments:
Post a Comment