Friday, July 18, 2008

Me Encanta Barthelona!




Oh do I love Barcelona! By far my favorite place we have been yet and maybe one of my favorite cities I have ever been to. The city has so much energy and is absolutely fascinating to walk around. You can not take it all in! From hundreds of interesting people, to street performers, to flower stands, markets, palm trees, boats, etc... there is just so much to experience! Lucky for me, Dave mentioned that Spain is a huge Pharma industry and Lilly has a big affiliate here, so now I am all about moving to Barcelona for an international assignment! Not too mention as of today alone, we have seen 5 Boxers!!! You don't see that many Boxers in the USA! So fun! Zeta would love it here and she already knows "Ven aqui!" Perfecto! I also have loved practicing my Spanish, which obviously we have not gotten to do at all yet! There are so major differences between "mexican spanish" (which I learned) and "spain spanish." Today I got called out by a local for speaking to him in mexican Spanish! Oh well, at least I am trying! I will not go into detail yet about our trip solely because our pictures aren't posted yet, but I will tell of one adventure and post those pics (as shown) since I had to pull them from Google because my street photography skills could not even begin to do it justice! Meet Gaudi- a crazy artist who must have been on drugs! He designed this massive church in Barcelona- Sagrada Familia that is ginormous and a little wierd, yet beautiful! It has 12 spires for each apostle and each face of the building tells a different story. Some of the spires have lizards or snails crawling up them and some some have balls of various colored fruits perched at the top. Before Gaudi was done building his masterpiece, he was killed by a tram and his plans for the church were burned. Ever since the city has been fighting on how to complete it and they now hope to have it complete in some way by 2020. It is an immaculate site! We also swung by an apartment complex, above, that he built to resemble caves! Amazing- this guy is a nut!

3 comments:

Ann said...

Love to read the blog and hear about your adventures. What's with the peanutbutter. When we travel we always take PB along it saves the day. Can't believe it's almost over for you all. What memories, and Nice is yet to come
je vous aime. Gma

Brett Keintz said...

casa batllo! best building in all of spain...have you guys embraced the tapa culture? order a couple "claras" for me aight? oh and try some "calimocho" (coke and wine) too! the spanish students' drink of choice...

Masha said...

You must must must visit Park Guell (with the famous lizard) and his house is in that park too...it's another Gaudi masterpiece. And you must must must try paella with a lot of sangria! My personal favorites from Barcelona :)